Ah, summer, everyone’s favorite season of the year. Warm weather, sunshine– and the car turning into a human microwave oven. If you’re tired of burning your booty on those leather seats and dripping in sweat for the first 10 minutes of the car ride, keep reading. Here are 5 of the best summer car hacks:
1. Hot steering wheel? You are probably a victim of this especially if your car has a black interior. Solve the problem by purchasing a fabric steering wheel cover. The alternative solution: try taking a cold, damp washcloth to the wheel before you drive. This also works for hot seat belt buckles, etc.
2. Park in the shade. Although it isn’t always an option, chances are you don’t even think to look for a shady spot while parking your car. Keep this in mind on your next trip to work or the grocery store.
3. AC not kicking on fast enough? There are a couple solutions to this. Before getting in your car, take some cold water to the radiator. Heat exchange of the air conditioner takes place through the radiator. In other words, if the radiator is kept cool, your air conditioner will work better and faster.
4. Hot gear stick? If you have nearly burnt your hand off changing gears, there is actually a super easy hack for this. Keep a koozie in the glove compartment of your car and simply put it over the gear stick before driving.
5. Hot leather seats? Leather seats are great– except for the way they bake in the hot summer sun. They will burn the skin on the backs of your thighs and can be really annoying when you’re sliding around in your own sweat while driving. If you want to avoid the burns and sweat stains, fold a towel and lay it down in your seat or cover it with a bed sheet. You can even purchase seat covers with special cooling technology.